Thursday, January 31, 2013

Windows XP 2002 Continued

So I was able to get in contact with the customer. I discovered that her main problem was not being able to use her web browser due to excessive amounts of advertisements that would pop up on her screen. I diagnosed a virus and sure enough there was one. It has since been removed.

The next line of action is to ensure that the operating system is fully updated. Once this has been done, I will defragment her hard drive and run a disk cleaner to ensure that all unnecessary files are removed an no longer using her valuable usage space. In addition I will see what services run on her computer automatically and turn off any services that are unnecessary, also to ensure her computer runs a little bit faster.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! I would also install Chrome. The one change we need to get her to make is to switch her browser. That will both help prevent future attacks (since old IE is *so* vulnerable!) as well as give her a modern browser for web access.

    I came in Saturday and cleaned up the lab a bit. In addition to completing this customer's machine (priority #1), let's use this week to:

    1. Clean up and organize the server room, throwing away as much junk as we can to make space for working.

    2. Install Ubuntu on the two of the laptops I left on the computer table, returning them to their owner's once that is finished.

    3. Either fix the broken display on the third laptop (Geovanny's) or replace it with another. I will install the OS on this one.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete